Arugula: Voted One of the ‘Best Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants’ and ‘Best Boulder Vegan Restaurants’
Arugula prides itself on serving most dishes with an abundance of vegetables, herbs, and spices – always fresh and colorful. Gluten-free, gluten-free option, vegetarian and vegan options are plentiful on every menu.
This quest for healthy cooking has been part of Arugula’s Chef Alec’s life for more than two decades. Alec started changing his eating habits years ago for health reasons and he hasn’t looked back since. As an advocate for the paleo diet, this approach has become some of the inspiration for Arugula’s health-conscious menus.
Arugula recently won the “Best Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurants Boulder” in the DiningOut Prime Picks contest and “Best Healthy Eats” Colorado Daily reader’s poll. ! Come and enjoy the fabulous, healthy food at Arugula!
A Health Conscious Eatery
At Arugula, we continue to try and raise the bar when it comes to providing health-oriented restaurant menus to fuel healthy lifestyles. We are constantly considering and learning about diet and health. Who ever said that healthy and delicious don’t go together, just didn’t know where to eat!
A Note from Chef Alec Schuler
In my 20s, I enrolled in Manhattan’s nutrition oriented Natural Gourmet Institute to learn how to cook and learn more about the correlation between diet and health. This is where I fell in love with playing with flavors to create unique and creative meals.
I am passionate about creating dishes balanced in delicious flavors that are both nutritious and beautiful. At Arugula, this approach comes through on our menus, resulting in a clean-cooking Italian/Mediterranean restaurant that puts an upscale spin on healthy food, including vegan and vegetarian options.
Arugula focuses on many practices that instill the highest quality of health in our food.
- We use extra virgin olive oil as our primary oil, which is in nearly everything savory we serve. For our no taste and high temperature oil (including our fryer) we use expeller pressed non-GMO sunflower oil from Colorado. We only use whole full fat butter in small quantities in most dishes. We do not have Canola oil or any other highly processed “vegetable oil” in the kitchen at all.
- All flour is unbleached and organic.
- All items are made from scratch except for cheeses, high quality dried meats, some dried pastas and one wonderful gluten-free dessert from our friends at Boulder’s Kim & Jake’s Cakes.
- We do not knowingly buy any GMO products.
- All terrestrial meats are “naturally raised” and “never-ever”, meaning the animal has never had added hormones nor antibiotics. Many meats are grass fed, and we like to explain to customers what that mean in terms of flavor, specifically on beef. We have had local Bison on the menu since opening in 2009.
- Our ample and diverse vegetarian or vegan platter (which happily satisfies all!) has been on the menu since Arugula opened.
- We use local produce seasonally as much as possible. Through our deep-rooted relationships with the farmers here in Boulder, we are lucky to source produce that is so fresh, we get it as it’s coming out of the ground, including standing orders all winter of local organic root vegetables. Fresh vegetables are integral to every dish, with a focus on balance in texture, color, flavors in all dishes.
- All seafood is sustainable according to Monterey Bay Aquarium “Seafood Watch” guidelines.
- We are very gluten conscious and, except for pastas, toasty breads and a few desserts, most dishes are gluten free.
- All of our standard salt is solar evaporated Pacific Sea salt from northern California. Plus we use other additive free and natural salts like: Himalayan pink, Fleur de Sel, Black Hawaiian and more.
- The menu is clearly labeled with V = vegan, VEG = vegetarian, GF = gluten free and GFO = gluten free option (+$1.25).
- Most of the wines on our extensive wine list are sustainable, organic or biodynamic. These are clearly notated on the wine list. We select most of our wines from small producers, which often translates into using traditional and often organic means.
- Whether you’re looking for a Boulder vegetarian restaurant, vegan restaurant, gluten-free restaurant, or just a healthier menu in Boulder, Arugula is happy to welcome and serve you.